Professor Stephen Childress.
Wednesday, 9:30-11:20 am in Room 813 WWH
Office Hours: TBA.
This course is a new one-semester fluids course that
will cover incompressible fluid flow as well as the basics of gas
dynamics. will discuss basic fluid dynamics, both physical and
theoretical aspects. Notes are being prepared and will be handed out.
See "books" below for text and reserve books for supplemental reading.
Materials and Content
HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS It is worth trying all of the problems. Those to
be handed in by registered
students for grading will be due on the following dates:
- September 19, problems 1.1-1.6 of notes.
- September 26, problems 2.1-2.6 of notes.
- October 10. Problems 3.1-3.6 and 4.1-4.2 of notes. NOTE: In
problem 3.1 the vorticity is v_x-u_y = omega. In
problem 3.6 the integrals with respect to "t" are from 0 to 1.
- October 24, problems 4.3-4.9, 4.11-4.13.
- October 31, problems 5.1, 5.3,5.4,5.7.
- November 14, problems 6.1-6.7 and problems from chapter 5.
- Problems 7.1, 7.2,7.3. NOTE: this and subsequent problems are due
in the last week of the course.
- Problems 8.1-8.5.