to the main course home page.
- If the assignment calls for programming, you should hand in printouts of the programs
together with typical output. You need not hand in all minor variants of a program
used for closely related parts of an assignment.
- Programs should be well structured, well commented, and easy to read. Pay attention
to use of white space, variable and procedure names (clear but not too long), etc.
Programs will be graded for clarity and quality, not merely correctness.
- Pay particular attention to the "Programming tips" sections before writing your
- Design graphs and printed results to answer the questions asked clearly and
concisely. If you have several similar graphs, try to combine them to one figure.
If you select one number from each of many columns of numbers, think about printing
just the selected numbers. We will grade the quality of the output, not merely
its correctness and completeness.
- If the assignment asks a question, make sure you include the answer with what you
hand in. Programs and output are not enough.
- Assignments are to be handed in in class one week after assigned, unless otherwise
stated. Electronic submission is not accetped.
- Limited collaboration is allowed. Students may consult each other or other sources
of information. Each student must personally create each line of code and write
up solutions. Code sharing and other excessive borroring from other sources
is a serious form of cheating that can lead to severely lowered grades or worse.
Assignment 1. Given January 27, due February 3. Do problems 1 through 5 in Sources of
Assignment 2. Given January 27, due February 21. In Postscript or
pdf format. You also need the figures
CurveA.ps or CurveA.pdf, and
CurveB.ps or CurveB.pdf.
You can download lecture notes on this material from last year's class.
Assignment 3. Given February 10, due February 21. In Postscript or
pdf format. You also need one of the procedures
fakeInt.C or fakeInt.c.
Last year some students had trouble downloading source code using the Microsoft
browser Internet Explorer. Please post problems to the class bboard.
Assignment 4. Given March 3, due March 10. In Postscript or
Assignment 5. Given March 24, due March 31. In Postscript or
Assignment 6. Given April 14, due March 28. In Postscript or
Assignment 7. Given May 5, due after the final exam. In Postscript or