Tandon MA-UY Credit by Examination Policy
Undergraduate Tandon students with an outstanding record or with specialized competence may establish a maximum of 16 credits toward the baccalaureate degree by passing comprehensive examinations. Each department determines the courses in which such an examination is available and the examination format. Students must obtain the approval of the department giving the course, the department of major study and the Office of Undergraduate Academics. A grade of B+ or better is required to achieve credit by examination. Students registering for or attending a course at the School of Engineering may not subsequently take the examination for credit for the course or for a course with similar content. The examination may be taken only once. Students pay a fee to the Office of Records and Registration before each examination and will receive the form to take the exam after making the payment. The course and credits are posted on student’s permanent record without a grade and do not count toward the minimum-residence requirement for the bachelor’s degree or toward the GPA.
Applying the above description to the Math Department, you must score an 85 or better on the final to receive credit for the course in question. MA-UY Credit by Exams can only be taken during finals week of a semester in which the math course for the Credit by Exam is being offered. They are also offered during scheduled dates at the end of each summer for new students entering NYU in the fall.
For New Incoming Students:
In order to qualify to take a MA-UY Credit by Examination, you must satisfy one of the two conditions below.
- Complete the Math Diagnostic Exam and place into a calculus level course.
- Be exempt from taking the Math Diagnostic Exam based on AP, A-level, or IB Exam Scores.
Steps to acquire and submit the Credit by Examination form:
- The Credit by Exam form can be picked up and paid for at the Records and Registration office, located in the Dibner building, room LC 262. Wanda Green is the contact person for this process. Credit by Exam costs $80 per credit (payable by check or money order), and must be paid at least a week prior to the exam.
- You must complete part 1 and 2 of the form and have it signed by your major advisor (or your first-year academic advisor for freshman), and the Academic Affairs office (LC 230).
- Bring the signed and completed form (after payment) to Alison Entin, RH 303A at least one week prior to the date of the final exam for the course or scheduled summer exam.
- Once the exam is complete, the Math Department adds the grade to the exam form, and the form is returned to Wanda Green by the Math Department.
- Once the graded form is received, Records and Registration sends it to the Central Registrar’s Office to update the student's transcript as needed.
Remember, you will be allowed to have only one opportunity to sit for the targeted exam(s).
Questions concerning Credit By Examination should be directed to the Manager of Academic Affairs, Alison Entin, email@example.com.